How to Apply for Social Security Number
  Return to ISS Home  |  My ISS Profile  |  My OPT Profile |  Contact Us  

How to Apply for a Social Security Number


F-1 and J-1 students must have an on-campus job or job offer in order to apply for a Social Security Number. This rule does not apply to F-1 students with an EAD card, or on Optional or Curricular Practical Training. International students may apply for a Social Security Number no earlier than two weeks after they arrive on campus at New Paltz. The only way to receive a Social Security Number is by making a formal application in person to the Social Security Administration.

The Social Security card issued to non-resident F-1 and J-1 students may specify that it is “valid only with employment authorization.” Issuance of a Social Security card is NOT employment authorization. F-1 and J-1 students may only work on-campus for less than 20 hours during the academic year and less than 29 hours during the long summer and winter vacations. Students must be registered and matriculated in accordance with campus guidelines in order to work on campus. 

F-1 and J-1 students may NOT work off campus without employment authorization. If you have questions about applying for authorization to accept off-campus employment, please contact the International Student Programs.

Required Materials

  • On Campus Employer Letterstating place of work and work duties (for on campus employment)
    ​*Version 2022 ONLY>  no other version will be accepted.

  • Letter from employer and CPT authorization (for F-1 students on CPT)

  • Letter from employer and Academic Training authorization (for J-1 students on AT)



  1. Ensure that your address is current in and that no holds exist on your record

  2. Click on the link below, Request SSN Support Letter.  

  3. You will be prompted to log in to your ISS-Profile. 

  4. Complete the SSN Support Letter Request.

  5. You will need to upload your employment offer letter (for CPT/AT), or the completed On Campus Employer Letter* (for on campus employment). 
    *Version 2022 ONLY>  no other version will be accepted.

  6. Be sure to click submit to ensure your request is sent to International Student Programs.   

  7. ​​You will receive an email from the International Student Services office once your letter request has been completed. 


Special Consideration

You must have an offer of authorized employment to qualify for a social security number.  

Social Security Administration Office

Office hours are between 8:45 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. Monday through Friday except legal holidays.

You must bring with you to Social Security Administration:
 F-1 and J-1 students working on-campus, on Curricular Practical Training (F-1) or on Academic Training (J-1):

  • Passport

  • Visa

  • I-94 print out

  • I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1)

  • Letter from International Student Programs verifying your status

  • Employment offer letter (for CPT/AT), or the completed On campus employer letter* (for on campus employment)*Version 2022 ONLY>  no other version will be accepted.

​The Social Security Administration office is located in Poughkeepsie, NY. If you do not have access to a car, you may choose to take the bus to Poughkeepsie.

Social Security Administration
332 Main Street
Poughkeepsie, NY  12601
If you have any questions, you may contact the Social Security Office directly.

Social Security Administration  
Directions to the Poughkeepsie, NY Social Security Administration Office
Take the Poughkeepsie/ Ulster link bus from campus and get off at Main Street and Market Street in Poughkeepsie. To return, get on the bus at Main Street and Market Street in Poughkeepsie and that will take you back to the bus station on Main Street in New Paltz. See bus schedule*