Health Issues
  Return to ISS Home  |  My ISS Profile  |  My OPT Profile |  Contact Us  

Medical Care and Student Health Issues

  • All international students are required to purchase the State University of New York Health Insurance Policy, and will be automatically enrolled in our comprehensive student health insurance plan upon registration.

  • ​We do not accept applications for a waiver of the insurance requirement.

The United States system of medical care may be different from that of your home country. In the U.S., you must pay for medical services yourself. There is no national health insurance and you cannot afford to be without medical insurance. For this reason, the College requires all full-time students and strongly urges all dependents to purchase the SUNY student health insurance in order to provide you with adequate medical insurance.

Most insurance policies purchased abroad are not comparable to the SUNY New Paltz insurance policy and do not provide adequate medical coverage. The SUNY international student health insurance provider is UnitedHealthcare.  The UnitedHealthcare Inbound 2021-22 Highlight Sheet details benefits coverage, such as COVIS-19, pre-existing conditions and provides a comprehensive range of medical services including emergency care, diagnostic tests, and hospitalization.  

Students can access the following resources on the UnitedHealthcare Student Resources website:  

• Print an ID Card - Access the UHCSR Mobil App
• FAQ 
• Health Insurance 101 
• How to Videos
• How To Access IRS Form 1095-B 

Student Health Service

 Please note that the health insurance policy is separate from the Student Health Center here on campus. The Student Health Center provides general health care for New Paltz students while the College is in session and promotes all aspects of maintaining good health, including prevention, mental health, and education. The Student Health Center may also provide you with a referral to a specialist that accepts the University Health Insurance policy if you need to see a doctor off campus. When the center is closed, on-call physicians are available.

Health Report and Immunization Record

Before coming to the U.S., all students must email their completed Pre-Enrollment Health Report and Physician’s Certificate form to the Student Health Center. The completed form should be emailed to  The Health Report and Physician’s Certificate form was included in your welcome email, but it can also be downloaded.  The completed form must be on file at the Student Health Center before the start of the academic term. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for classes. Note that Health Center records are confidential and information from a student's chart will not be released without proper authorization. If the Pre-Enrollment Health Report and Physician's Certificate form have not been submitted to the Student Health Center, you will not be seen by the Student Health Center’s Physician.

Spouse/Family Health Care

F-2 & J-2 Dependents are required to enroll in the SUNY Health Insurance plan for each semester the F-1 or J-1 student is enrolled at SUNY New Paltz.  The University Health Insurance policy must be purchased within 30 days of your dependent(s) arrival in the U.S. 

Any questions about health insurance or dependent enrollment, please email